Sunday 29 November 2009

Swine flu or just swines?

As you know those at the 'front line' of nhs care are being 'encouraged' to have both the flu and H1N1 vaccines.

So how come 75% of my colleagues do not want it?

As line manager, I am 'expected' to model good practice and attitude (according to the hospital management) by getting the jabs, then persuading those I line manage that they 'should' have it too.

I do not believe I am wrong (or paranoid) in thinking that if the shit hits the fan re - swine flu, human resources and over zealous managers will come up with the idea of either disciplinary actions or, more likely, financial penalty, for those not having it.

A scenario I can foresee is that a nursing assistant with a poor health record goes off sick with swine flu. I, as charge nurse, am then tasked with finding out if they have had their vaccines, and if not, why not. If there is no good reason given, then some phrase along the lines of "not doing enough to maintain health" or "refusing preventative measures to maintain health" will be used to justify either unpaid leave while off, or disciplinary procedures being commenced.

I am not so sure this is as far fetched as I first thought when started writing, as similar expressions have been used with employees when they have been off sick.

I recall a friend was off work with a depressive illness (severe), getting through the recovery phase, they were asked to go ice skating with a small group attending the a day centre she went to for support. While skating, she fell and broke her ankle, thus changing and prolonging her time away from work.
Her line manager and human resource person had a meeting with her and suggested she had been "participating in activity likely to hinder recovery" and as such sought to proceed to disciplinary.

Ah the joys of working for the NHS never cease to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment